Street, Exeter 1905
Hiscock Stentiford (see Issue 7) would have
walked down this street many times as he returned to his job and his
home in Exeter's Liberal Club in Bradninch Place, turning left a few
yards beyond the horse and cart in the centre of the picture.
tram going down to the Great Western Railway Station at St. David's
would also have passed the Southern Railway Station further on in Queen
The building on the right, which has the words "Supported by
Voluntary Contributions" on its walls, was the Exeter Infirmary..
pulpit of the parish church of St. Peter and St. Paul in Ermington.
the church in which Edmund Stentiford married Elizabeth Coleman in
September 1786 (see Issue 5). Ermington was surrounded by small quarries
supplying stone for the Admiralty in Plymouth. You can find information
about some of the Stentifords who worked in these quarries at
The church is full of beautiful woodcarvings all
done in the 1880s
and 1890s by the daughters of the Rector at that time - Mary, Esther and Violet Pinwill,
Later they moved into Plymouth and together set up a successful
woodcarving business. There are carvings by these three women to be
found in over 100 Devon
churches. Violet supervised all the work and the many men they employed,
retiring in 1954 when she was 80.
on the common above Stentiford Land, Dartmoor (see Issue
of Cornwall, Prince Charles owns Dartmoor, together with much of the
rest of the County. But many people living on or near Dartmoor have
ancient Commoner's Rights. This means they can turn animals out to graze
on the moor without payment of a fee to the Duchy of Cornwall. Sheep,
cattle and ponies are free to roam at will, prevented from straying too
far by cattle grids sunk into the ground. Sadly, today's motorists seem
unprepared to wait while these gentle creatures amble across roads to
greener grass and this year there have been numerous deaths among the
here to continue