The Legend

Home Up Contents Search

 

From "An Historical Survey of Torquay" by Arthur Charles Ellis published in 1930:

Page 324:

"Besides the mill, there were only two other houses in Pimlico: one where the school now stands, was occupied by a lime burner named Frank Short; in the other lived William Stentiford, a gardener, who has left his name indelibly upon Torquay."

 

Fleete Mill, sketched by the Rev. John Swete c. 1793

 

This mill existed for several centuries. it was finally demolished in 1835.

The River Fleete no longer flows above ground.

 

From www.torbytes.co.uk - a Torbay Council website:

 

"Stentiford's Hill - from William Stentiford who built two cottages in Pimlico c1810/20; really "Appaway Hill". An exploration took place in October 1862 of a cavern found on Happaway Hill, an area now quarried away, which was behind buildings in Market Street. (Also known as Hoppaway as well as Happaway Cavern).

 

Braddon  Hill in the early 19th century.

The left hand side (behind the terrace of houses) was and still is known as Stentiford's Hill

 

From "The Ellacombe book" by Sydney Langmead published in 1998:

Page 24:

"Beside the mill, at one time, there were only two other houses in Pimlico. Where the National School once stood, was one occupied by a lime burner named Frank Short, and in the other lived William Stentiford, a gardener, who left his name indelibly upon the western slope of Braddon's Hill which has ever since been known as Stentiford's Hill."


Click here to continue

Send mail to webmaster@stentiford.org  with questions or comments about this web site.
  Last modified:
28/08/2006